You’re sitting at your desk, staring at the screen, and you’ve got a to-do list that’s longer than a Monday morning. You know you should be focusing on high-value tasks like client meetings and property evaluations, but instead, you find yourself caught up in paperwork and endless emails.
Sounds familiar? Let’s talk about how to break free from this procrastination cycle and start growing as a broker!
Identify Your Procrastination Triggers
In the broking industry, time is money. Every minute you spend procrastinating is a minute lost that could have been spent closing a deal or building a relationship. It can lead to missed opportunities, strained client relationships, and ultimately, lost revenue.
So first things first, let’s figure out what’s holding you back. Is it the dread of cold calling? The tediousness of admin work? Observe how you deal with your daily tasks:
- Client Follow-ups: Are you putting them off?
- Paperwork: Is it piling up?
- Property Evaluations: Are they getting delayed?
- Networking: Are you avoiding industry events?
Use ourCost Calculator to see how much time you’re spending on low-value tasks. You might be surprised to find that these are the very tasks that trigger your procrastination.
The Broker’s Toolkit to Overcome Procrastination
So, you’ve identified your triggers. Now what? Here are some broker-specific strategies to help you get back on track:
- Time Management Tools: Consider using apps specifically designed for brokers to manage your time and tasks. For example, you can use tools like RescueTime to show you where your hours are actually going. For example, you can see how much time you’re spending on client calls versus admin tasks.
- Pomodoro Technique: This is a time management method where you work in bursts of intense focus. Let’s say you’re working on loan applications. You could set a timer for 25 minutes to focus solely on that task, take a 5-minute break, and then dive back in. Tools like Focus Booster use the Pomodoro Technique to help break your day into manageable chunks.
- SMART Goals: Setting vague goals like “I want to grow my business” won’t get you far. Instead, try setting SMART goals—Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. For instance, aim to close three new deals by the end of the month. This gives you a clear target and makes it easier to track your progress.
- Celebrate Small Wins: Closed a deal? Take a moment to celebrate before moving on to the next task! This will help you feel motivated to take on and finish a new work.
Broker-Specific Tools to Leverage Technology
With the rise of various tech tools to streamline your workflow, technology can be your best friend in beating procrastination! Here’s how:
- CRM Systems: Use a CRM tailored for mortgage brokers to automate follow-ups and reminders. CRM tools like Salesforce or Hubspot can help you track your client’s application progress, or even automate some of those follow-ups for you.
- AI Tools: Consider using AI to handle repetitive tasks like sorting emails or setting up appointments
You can use ChatGPT to help you generate content or craft a capability deck for your client pitches. For documentation, consider using services like Scribe AI to create a documented process for your team. For loan applications, you can use tools likeNanonets to automatically scan documents, and for marketing, you can use tools like Zapier to integrate all of your digital tools together. These tools can handle the repetitive stuff, freeing you up to focus on the big picture.
If procrastination has already taken a toll on your business, do not forget to take accountability for your actions – it’s all about being responsible to your clients and even to other brokers!
To keep your accountability in check, you can consider forming an accountability check with a close colleague, or form a partnership with another trusted broker to keep each other’s progress on track. But if you’re still finding it hard to focus on what truly matters, consider hiring a Virtual Assistant (VA). A VA can handle the admin work, manage your calendar, and even take care of initial client communications so you won’t have to worry about being tied down and overwhelmed on admin tasks, and let you focus on core business tasks that could directly grow your business.
We’ve all been there—pushing off tasks we don’t want to and can’t do. But in the mortgage broking world, procrastination is still a bad habit that could be a business killer. Use those time management tools, set up your CRM, and don’t underestimate the power of having someone to answer to!
If you’re still struggling to manage it all, remember that you don’t have to do it all alone. Koruna Assist helps time-poor SMEs and brokers manage their time better to focus on what really matters. Talk to us today and let’s see how we can get you back on track.